BGCB's Inspirational 2018 Youth of the Year
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Bellevue is proud to announce our 2018 Youth of the Year, Yana S.
Yana participated in the Youth of the Year program along with other incredible candidates from the Boys & Girls Clubs of Bellevue’s Teen Center. Each candidate wrote and delivered a powerful speech about their experiences at The Club, and why they felt they were the best candidate for Youth of the Year. They also had an opportunity to meet individually with our panel of judges from community partner Toyota Financial Services Candidates were judged on their leadership skills, service to the community, moral character and public speaking.
Yana has been a member at the Boys & Girls Clubs of Bellevue since she was in elementary school, starting off in our after-school & summer programs. In middle school she started attending The Club Teen Center, the Teen Center was her safe place to go afterschool to interact with positive adult role models and receive help with her academics.
While at the 2018 Youth of the Year Competition in Seattle Yana gave a speech that spoke about her childhood and family circumstances; describing the many negative aspects of her childhood. Yana expressed that The Club and Keystone Program “played the biggest role in my life... The people inside of this program have given me a safe environment to share my life experiences.” Yana received a $1,000 Qualstar Cooperative Spirit Award during the statewide BGCA Youth of the Year competition. She has over 660 hours of community service hours through the Club's Keystone group that helps and supports local charities including her efforts to co-found an anti-bullying campaign #owntheirwords.
Yana graduated from Sammamish High School in June 2018 as a senior; she will be attending Bellevue College in the fall where she will pursue a degree in Clinical Social Work with a primary focus on youth.
Why the Club Works
- Safety is our #1 priority. The club provides youth with safe havens staffed by caring adult mentors, who have the best interest of children at heart.
- 80% of all learning occurs outside the classroom. Our goal is to have a positive impact on every childs academic success
- Academic success, healthy lifestyles and character and leadership are the Club's three focus areas for all programs.
- We believe in providing all of our members with access to the latest technolgy so they will have a head start in today's world.
- Our expectation is that every young person who enters our doors will be on track to graduate from high school with a plan for the future.